1126 Rutherglen was granted its royal charter by King David I. It is believed to be the oldest royal burgh in Scotland.
1200s Rutherglen Castle was built during the 13th century.
1297 William Wallace signed a treaty with the English at Rutherglen
1309 Rutherglen Castle, garrisoned by the English, was captured by the Scots although it was subsequently retaken by the English.
1313 Rutherglen Castle was again captured by the Scots under Edward, brother of Robert the Bruce.
1569 Rutherglen Castle, held by the Hamiltons of Shawfield, was burned to the ground by the Regent Moray. The Hamiltons had supported the defeated Mary, Queen of Scots at the Battle of Langside, the year before.
1679 Protestant Covenanters read out the 'Declaration of Rutherglen' prior to their victory over Government forces at the Battle of Drumclog. The declaration was an oath to defend their religion and make Scotland a Protestant country. Their success was short-lived, however, as they were routed at the Battle of Bothwell Bridge three weeks later.
1708 Rutherglen gained parliamentary representation as part of the Glasgow Burghs constituency. It became part of Kilmarnock Burghs in 1832.
1821 The population of Rutherglen according to the census was 4,091.
1832 Rutherglen was represented in Parliament as part of the Kilmarnock Burghs constituency from this date until 1918.
1835 Stonelaw Parish Church, in King Street, was built.
1849 The original Rutherglen railway station was opened, in June, by the Caledonian Railway on a line to Glasgow.
1856 Rutherglen's shipyard was established by Thomas Bollen Seath.
1862 Rutherglen Town Hall, designed by Charles Wilson, was built.
1865 The Rutherglen & Coatbridge branch of Caledonian Railways was opened to goods traffic.
1866 The Rutherglen & Coatbridge branch of Caledonian Railways was opened to passengers in January.
1877 Clyde Football Club was founded in Barrowfield, Bridgeton, before moving to Shawfield stadium in 1898.
1879 The new Rutherglen railway station was opened in March.
1881 The population of Rutherglen according to the census was 11,265.
1887 Clydebridge Works, at nearby Cambuslang, was founded by the Clydebridge Steel Company. During the First World War it primarily produced shells for use with the French 75 mm field guns.
1902 The present Rutherglen Old Parish Church was built by the renowned architect, J J Burnett.
1915 Clydebridge Steel Works, founded in 1887, was taken over by Colvilles. During World War One it primarily produced shells for French 75mm field guns.
1918 The Rutherglen parliamentary constituency was created.
1951 The population of Rutherglen according to the census was 24,213.
1975 Under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, Rutherglen Burgh was abolished and Rutherglen became administratively part of the city of Glasgow.
1983 The Rutherglen Glasgow parliamentary constituency was created.
1996 In a local government re-organisation Rutherglen became part of the South Lanarkshire council area.
1999 The Scottish Parliamentary constituency of Glasgow Rutherglen was created.
2001 The population of Rutherglen according to the census was 33,093.
2005 The new UK parliamentary constituency of Rutherglen and Hamilton West was created